Audrey Headframe Park
The state-of-the-art Audrey shaft and headframe was the largest facility of its kind built by the United Verde Extension (UVX) Company during its years of operation.
The Audrey shaft was completed in 1918 as part of a complex operational plan that sought to maximize the amount high-grade ore extracted, reduce fire risk (a major concern in this sulfur-rich soil) and optimize worker safety. The Daisy shaft was relegated to air supply, while the Edith served as the workhorse for the handling of materials. The Audrey shaft was assigned the task of hauling ore to the surface in its early life and after 1919 to the 1300 foot level where it was transported underground via electric trains to the new Clemenceau smelter, south of what is now “Old Town” Cottonwood. The mining operation as a whole was considered one of the best designed and safest in America.100 Douglas Rd.
Jerome, AZ 86331
Hours of Operation: Open daily from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m